Speed dating loughborough
The engine chosen to power the BR/Sulzer Type 4's had its roots in development dating back to the early 1930's, in the Sulzer LDA series.Development had taken this design to a maximum of eight cylinders in the single bank form.Also present for inspection were English Electric Type 4 No. Although mostly an English Electric Type 4 turn, this did provide the sight of an occasional BR/Sulzer Type 4 at Aberdeen.During August Type 4's also starting working through to Glasgow Central on WCML passenger services from Carlisle.
On July 14th it was officially named at Carlisle Citadel by Sir Fergus Graham, Lord Lieutenant of Cumberland, the station had been specially spruced up for the occasion.
By July D2 & D5 were back at Camden (1B), those working north of Carlisle were reaching as far north as Perth on certain workings.
A survey of WCML express passenger trains on a weekend in November at Rugby revealed five BR/Sulzer Type 4's in use, the English Type 4's were of course in the majority.
The Modernisation Plan which called for the replacement of steam by diesel and electric traction presented the architects of the Plan with many questions, often with a multitude of answers.
In many cases there was no definitive 'right' or 'wrong' answer, the global use of diesel locomotives was still very much on a learning curve, with some solid successes and also many dead ends.
Despite there allocation they were split between services out of Euston and St Pancras.